If I came to the U.S with a tourist visa, do I have an alien registration number?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I came to the U.S with a tourist visa, do I have an alien registration number?

And if so, what would it be? I’m filling out the form I-130 and one of the questions asks for the alien registration number.

Asked on March 29, 2012 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

NO, if you entered as a tourist you would not have an A#.  You can leave that blank if you do not have it.  If you are the beneficiary of a I-130 petition and you entered as a tourist, if your petitioner is your spouse, you can and should file the I-485 with the I-130 and as soon as that is filed, you will be given an A#.  ALso, your green card process will be much faster that way.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption