If I backed into a car 9 months ago and no police were called, am I liable?

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I backed into a car 9 months ago and no police were called, am I liable?

I just got an estimate from the other party 2 days ago.

Asked on April 16, 2013 under Accident Law, Louisiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Regardless of whether there is a police report, you need to be made aware that if you backed into the motor vehicle, you are liable for the damages. If the issue is that there were no damages, if you had any photos, make sure you show your insurance company. If there was damage or you cannot prove that there wasn't any damage, be prepared to counter by demanding that the person get three estimates, and that you will send out your insurance company to do an estimate, as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption