If I ask for a written disclosure of termination do they have to give it to me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I ask for a written disclosure of termination do they have to give it to me?

I was released from me job but when I asked
for it in writing they are refusing to give it to me

Asked on April 1, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, it does not. In fact, in an "at will" employment relationship (which most emploment is), a company can fire an employee for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. This is true unless such an action violates company policy, the terms of an employment contract or union agreement. Also, the employee's treatment must not be due to any form of legally actionable discrimination. That having been said, if you are filing for unemployment benefits, your ex-employer will need to give a written reason for your dismissal to the unemployment office. You can then find out what reason was given.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption