If I am unable to work due to a car accident, does my insurer have to help me pay my rent untilI am able to work again?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am unable to work due to a car accident, does my insurer have to help me pay my rent untilI am able to work again?

My car accident was a little over 3 years ago. I am fully covered by auto owners insurance. About a month ago I had to have a major surgery on my hip due to the accident, because of this I had to move from my house since I am unable to travel up and down stairs. I had to give up my house and now I don’t have a stable place or a handicap accessible home. Also, I cannot now work due to the surgery so I have no income coming in. Does my insurance have to help me with a suitable place to live until I can began to work again?

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Insurance Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your insurer needs to pay everything it is obligated to under the policy--not a cent less, but also not a cent more. This means it has to pay both the types of costs covered under your policy (and no other) and also only up to the policy limit, or the maximum amount it is obligated under the policy. There is therefore no general or always true answer to your question: an insurance policy is a contract, and like any other policy, it is governed by its terms. You need to review the policy closely to see what it does and does not cover; in the event of any ambiguities or confusion, or if the insurer will not pay what you believe it is obligated to pay, you should consult with an attorney, who can review the policy with you and, if necessary, challenge the insurer's determination. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption