If i am served Nevada divorce papers and live in NY, do i need to respond to them.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If i am served Nevada divorce papers and live in NY, do i need to respond to them.

I was married in Ny. Have never
lived in NV. I served my ex over a
year ago and it went into default.
Now he’s serving me from Nevada
asking ridiculous things. Do i need
to answer and get a lawyer in

Asked on October 13, 2019 under Family Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you don't want him to win and simply get whatever he is asking for (e.g. in terms of splitting assets), yes, you need to respond, which as a practical matter means getting a lawyer, if he now lives in NV. A spouse can sue for divorce in the state he/she lives at present, even if it's not where the spouse lives or where they lived together as spouses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption