What to do if I’m on home confinement and officers say I left my home when in fact I did not?

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m on home confinement and officers say I left my home when in fact I did not?

I have a GPS. How can I fight this in court?

Asked on April 1, 2013 under Criminal Law, West Virginia


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello.  Persons who are on house arrest and are told (at some point) by a police officer or a corrections offical that they have violated the terms of their arrest or detention are typically extremely upset and fearful and scared.  It is possible that a tracking device, such as an ankle bracelet ('ankle monitor', 'tether') used on a person on 'house arrest' (also known as 'home detention') may be defective or even totally inoperable.  Offenders sometimes try to render their monitoring devices inoperable, with a variety of methods. What is best for you to do depends on the full facts and circumstances of your situation.  I definitely recommend that you seek private and confidential attorney counsel for you in this matter and I recommend that you seek help from a somewhat older and more experienced attorney who practices criminal law.  All the best.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption