IfI am charged with 3 misdemeanors butI am only guilty of one of them, how shouldI plead?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI am charged with 3 misdemeanors butI am only guilty of one of them, how shouldI plead?

I am charged with public intoxication, simple possession of Schedule 1, and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. What is the maximum penalty for these offenses? Also, no one I was with confessed to the drugs. What should I do about that? The police said that if no one confessed to them, we will all be convicted.

Asked on November 9, 2010 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

It will be up to you (and your attorney should your get on ) to decide how you should plead.  What I can tell you is that whenever criminal charges are involved it is always advisable to have legal counsel.  An experienced lawyer can possibly get the charge dismissed or at least get them reduced.  I am going to assume that you are a first-time offender.  Accordingly, you will be eligible for something known as "diversion" (or TN's equivalent).  In such a situation, you plead guilty to the charge, receive a special probation, and if it is successfully completed, your case will be dismissed.  As long as you stay out of any further trouble your record will be automatically cleared; it will be as though none of this happened.  An attorney in your area can fully advise you of your rights and options.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption