IfI am a W9 contractor, can my former employer withhold my pay more then 24 hoursafter firing me?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI am a W9 contractor, can my former employer withhold my pay more then 24 hoursafter firing me?

I got fired wrongfully and the company would not pay me on payday. It said it did not have to because I was not an employee of the company. Is this true?

Asked on January 7, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you did work, whether as an employee or an independent contractor, you must be paid for it; there are no exceptions. So the fact that you were an independent contractor and not an employee does not let them withhoold your pay. As long as you did the work contracted for--i.e. you did the work you were supposed to, to acceptable standards--you must be paid. If they do not pay you, you may sue, including possibly suing in small claims court (where you can represent yourself and save on legal fees) to recover the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption