If I am a salaried employee but I also get commidssion, do I need to clock in and out?

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am a salaried employee but I also get commidssion, do I need to clock in and out?

Asked on January 14, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The answer is both yea snd no.

No, in that if you are paid by salary and/or by commission, your pay does not depend on your hours worked; so you do not need to clock in and out to be paid.

Yes, in that a company may set any rules for work that it likes, and it could require any or every employee to clock in and out, such as to monitor comings and goings, to be able to accurately "bill" their time to the right projects, to know if they are excessly late or habitually leave early, etc. If an employee doesn't comply with work rules, he or she could be terminated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption