If I am a beneficiary of a living Trust because my grandma died and my grandfather is still alive, how do I find out what I am a part of?

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am a beneficiary of a living Trust because my grandma died and my grandfather is still alive, how do I find out what I am a part of?

When I was a minor my father got legal documents stating that it went to my grandfather’s living Trust. Now that I am 26 years old I haven’t heard anything and feel like I have a right to know what’s going on.

Asked on July 17, 2013 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The right of a beneficiary to see the Trust document varies from state to state.  But I am a little confused here as to the matter. If there was a trust made by your grandparents that places their property in a living trust this was done for estate planning purposes.  I am assuming that if there are two separate trusts that one "feeds" the other upon the passing of the spouse.  So the assets in the trust of your grandmother went in to your grandfather's trust.  If he is still alive and benefiting from the trust you are NOT a beneficiary yet.  You are a residual beneficiary when he passes.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption