If I accept a severance, will it prevent me from claiming unemployment?

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I accept a severance, will it prevent me from claiming unemployment?

I was recently laid off and am unsure of my next steps.

Asked on January 25, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) If the severance agreement (if there is one) states that you are resigning, quitting, or otherwise voluntarily leaving, then you would not be eligible for unemployment, since you would have agreed in writing that you were not fired, but left of your own free will.
2) If it does not, then it doesn't stop you from collecting unemployment (assuming you are otherwise eligible for it), but may delay you getting it until such time as the severance has been fully paid out (while it is being paid, you are considered still employed for unemployment benefits purposes).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption