If hurt on job can you be fired for that?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If hurt on job can you be fired for that?

I was hurt on the job, was told not to come in until seeing the doctor,
then they cancelled the Dr appt I did have they made a different one for
a week later even though the hospital said to be seen within 2-3 days, this
is 2 weeks later, then they changed my job without knowing what my
restrictions would be, when I refused to agree to anything without seeing
a Dr they fired me.

Asked on February 12, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you missed work without using paid time off (PTO) you had earned for the absence or Family and Medical Act (FMLA) leave, you could be fired for that--even when injured, you can't simply miss work unless you used PTO or FMLA leave.
Or if you refused to follow you supervisor's or employer's instructions, you could be fired for doing so: an employee cannot just unilaterally refuse to their job or follow instructions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption