If Fannie Mae owns 1 unit in a duplex, does it share responsibility for a shared sewer?

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Fannie Mae owns 1 unit in a duplex, does it share responsibility for a shared sewer?

I own 1/2 of a duplex, Fannie Mae owns the other. I just had to have the sewer replaced. The 2 units share a sanitary sewer. Is Fannie Mae or the loan servicer responsible for half the cost of the repair?

Asked on October 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In general if you were assessed a fee for the replacement of the sewer line to the unit that you owe then all other owners under common law should share in on the costs if such sewer line benefits the real property that they own.

From the general information that you have written about if Fannie Mae has an ownership interest in the real property at you are writing about it should pay a percentage of the costs for the replacement of the shared sewer line under common law.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption