If charges are pressed against you, how long does it take for police to arrest you or notify you?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If charges are pressed against you, how long does it take for police to arrest you or notify you?

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If a person has made a criminal complaint against a person for doing something improper with law enforcement, the police officer has to write up a report with certain recommendations and forward the report to the district attorney's office for review.

It is then up to the deputy district attorney who is assigned the task of issuing complaints to have a complaint issued against the person mentioned in the police report if circumstances warrant. Given the circumstances of the alleged offense and how busy the police department and district attorney's office are, the arrest warrant or the notification of charges against a person can take several months after the police report is first made about the incident.

Related article: What are Rules of Criminal Procedure?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption