If an officer puts the wrong court appearence date on your ticket, could it void the ticket?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an officer puts the wrong court appearence date on your ticket, could it void the ticket?

First offense OMVI in a mayor court. I was processed and released. The court date on my ticket was incorrect. I showed up for court today and there was no court.

Asked on August 1, 2011 Ohio


Jack Moser, Jr. / Jack Moser Law

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

An argument may be made that the ticket is defective, but usually in such circumstances the court permits the prosecutor to "amend" the charging instrument (ticket) so that any "clerical" defects may be remedied. It is highly suggested that you hire an attorney to represent your interests and that you do not attempt to represent yourself, as a good drunk driving legal defense involves complex issues, procedures, and science of BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) in the body. A knowledgeable and skilled OVI attorney may be able to convince the judge to dismiss the ticket, and if not dismiss, they may be able to convince the prosecutor to offer a lesser offense than the drunk driving charge. Visit Jack Moser Law at http://jmoserlaw.com for more information on drunk driving defense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption