If an employer is stealing from employees, can you tape record his confession without his consent?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an employer is stealing from employees, can you tape record his confession without his consent?

If so, can it be used as evidence?

Asked on November 10, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Do you mean in person or on the phone? On the phone tapping issue there are consent rules and Pennsylvania is, I believe, a two party consent state.  Either way it can be a problem in Pennsylvania.  There are Federal Wire Tapping laws and expectation of privacy issues here and your state has one of the strictest set of  state and Federal laws that apply to the former, the Federal laws apply to the latter as well.  So I think that the best route for you to go is to report this matter to the proper authorities and have them do the investigative work that will be legal and admissible in Court.  good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption