If an attorney is acting as a debt collector, am I obligated to sign a consent judgement in order to set up at payment plan?

UPDATED: Apr 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an attorney is acting as a debt collector, am I obligated to sign a consent judgement in order to set up at payment plan?

My original debt was for $3579.66, when I asked to make a payment plan they added an additional $2749.38 in interest for a total of $6329.04. Is this legal? I haven’t signed the consent form. Can I contact the court and fight this?

Asked on April 24, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act an attorney has special duties when acting as a debt collector.  You can look those up on line.  Now, it is a little unclear where in this process you are and if there had been a judgement rendered.  Interest can be added to a collection case from the date of the judgement as well as legal fees.  If the case is before a Judge go and speak your mind and have your chance to be heard.  Ask the court to explain things to you before you sign.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption