If an appeal is still showing active after being dismissed, will the trial court still decide on a motion sent in after?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an appeal is still showing active after being dismissed, will the trial court still decide on a motion sent in after?

An appeal was dismissed on Aug.13 but it is still showing active with the court appointed attorney that did nothing to help, and we are wanting her gone. A Motion to place defendent on Community Supervision was sent in by defendent and filed by district clerk on the 22nd, however is showing up on First Court of Appeals and with the trial court. We needed it to go to the trial court to be ruled on, but they said the appeals court will rule on it. How do we get the motion out of the appeals court so only the trial court will have it?

Asked on October 7, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You need to hire an attoney to assist you with appellate issues.  Without seeing the actual documents, it will be difficult to discern why the case is still open... however, all of the courts of appeals will keep a case open for a couple of months after they render their decision.  They do so to insure that no additional motions will be filed, (like a motion for reconsideration).  Once a time period has lapsed, they will issue a 'mandate', and then the case will officially return to the trial court.  If you already have a 'mandate' (not just a dismissal), then the case hasn't quite concluded with the appellate court.  The district court will not usually proceed until they have the final mandate.  The mandate is basically the piece of paper that says 'we are done.'
Even without the case being returned to the trial court, a new attorney can step in and take over both components of the case.  They simply need to file a notice of appearance as lead counsel with the appellate court and the district clerk.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption