If an agent changed my term insurance to a life policy without my consent what are my rights?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an agent changed my term insurance to a life policy without my consent what are my rights?

An agent changed my term life insurance to a life insurance policy without my consent after I repeatedly told him I was not interested. I was then told that I need to write a later stating that I changed my mind and did not want to change it but I told them that I wasn’t going to do that because it’s a lie because I never asked for it to be changed. Then I received a letter saying that per my written request that my policies has been cancelled.

Asked on January 23, 2018 under Insurance Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your agent should not have changed your policy without your consent.  It is possible for mistakes to happen and your agent should have been the one to contact the carrier, explain the mistake, and then fix it....at no expense to you.  You can file a complaint with the insurance board, not just for the mistake (assuming that it was a mistake), but also for the agent's refusal to fix the issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption