If a woman i married wasn’t divorce like they said is my marriage valid

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a woman i married wasn’t divorce like they said is my marriage valid

The woman i met was married before
i met her. But she didn’t want to
get married in that city so we got
married out of state i thought she
had got a divorce first.but now
I’ve believe she didn’t there’s no
record in the clerk of court saying
they were divorce. So i want out of
this.can i get out of mess without
getting a divorce

Asked on March 4, 2019 under Family Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have to legally and officially end your "marriage" since you are recorded in public documents as married. But if she was married when you "married" her, then you would annul the marriage rather than divorce: a divorce ends a valid marriage for some reason, whether adultry or irreconcilable differences or otherwise, but an annulment voids or cancels out an invalid marriage. One cannot be married to two people simultaneously: the second or later "marriage" is not valid since she could not get married while still married. An annulment will void this invalid marriage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption