Will my daughter have to testify in court if she was the victim of an assault?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will my daughter have to testify in court if she was the victim of an assault?

A woman came into my yard, hit my 19 year old daughter in the mouth, and was arrested.

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Oh my goodness.  Most likely the answer here will be yes,  Your daughter will be the victim  in the matter but is also probably the complaining witness, meaning the one who can help fill out the criminal complaint as to what happened and have the charges stick.  Is there a reason that you do no want her to testify? Is she afraid about some thing?  Possibly additional retaliation for something?  Then you should speak with the prosecutor and possibly a private attorney on the matter.  I get the feeling that there is something going on here and you need to make sure that your daughter is safe from what ever it is.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption