If a will states that tangible property goes to children, does a quit claim deed to the house override that??

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a will states that tangible property goes to children, does a quit claim deed to the house override that??

Her will specifically states that all tangible personal property owned at the time of
her death including clothing, jewelry, furniture, furnishings, household goods. Etc to
be distributed to her three children.
Mom died, her husband got the house because of the quit claim deed and he just
sold the house. He never contacted us about the contents family heirlooms,
furnishings, etc.
Could we have a legal case against him?

Asked on November 17, 2016 under Estate Planning, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A quit claim deed only affects real estate (that is, the house): it has NO effect on *any* thing within it or any other personal property, other than fixtures to the house, which would have become his (e.g. chandeliers). 
If he sold off or kept items that were willed to others, he could be sued for their value.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption