If a roommate has a warrant for his arrest and the police entered and saw marijuana in my room, can I be charged for it?

UPDATED: Apr 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a roommate has a warrant for his arrest and the police entered and saw marijuana in my room, can I be charged for it?

My roommate had a warrant out for his arrest for bail jumping. I was at work at the time but my girlfriend was sleeping in my room. The police forcibly entered and began searching for my roommate. My bedroom door was cracked and the police saw a quantity of marijuana behind my TV, separated into 1/8ths ounces. They confiscated it and threatened to arrest my girlfriend but did not. They want me to go talk to a drug detective. Can I be charged if I was not listed on the search warrant and the marijuana was not in a common area?

Asked on April 24, 2012 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can be charged with possession of marijuana because when the police are executing a warrant, any contraband they see is considered to be in plain view.  Contraband in plain view of the police is admissible evidence.  It is irrelevant that the police were on the premises to arrest someone else when they spotted the marijuana. It is also irrelevant that the location of the marijuana was not in a common area because the police can search the entire house looking for your roommate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption