If a private party sold me furniture, can they repossess it?

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a private party sold me furniture, can they repossess it?

My landlord sold me some furniture when I moved in.Verbally it was decided that I would pay what I could afford above the rent amount until it was paid off. The amount and payment dates were never discussed. In writing is only the list of furniture and price. I have made payments and have cancelled checks. I haven’t been able to pay as much as I would have liked but we never agreed on an amount. I’m moving out now and she is having money problems and wants some furniture back. I sold all I had to make room for hers and I don’t want to give it back. If I continue to make payments can she do that?

Asked on March 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unless there is some security agreement in place issued to the seller of the furniture that you are making payment on over time, the seller has no legal right to repossess it. Assuming the seller has a legal right to repossess it, the seller can only do so if you are in default of your purchase agreement.

Meaning, so long as you are current on the payments, the seller has no legal right to repossess the furniture.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption