If a police officer has made a deal with me to get my charges dropped, is there any way to guarantee they will drop them?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a police officer has made a deal with me to get my charges dropped, is there any way to guarantee they will drop them?

I was arrested for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. The arresting officer made a deal with me saying that they will drop my charges if I assist them in arresting 3 drug dealers. They processed me but didn’t officially arrest me. She said she wouldn’t file it if I carry out my end of the deal. Is this legal and is there any way to guarantee they will keep their word?

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to guarantee that law enforcement will keep its promises to you is to retain a criminal defense attorney and have a written contract drawn up signed by you, your criminal defense attorney and law enforcement memorializing the proposed agreement submitted to you that you have written about.

A written document signed by all parties to it is the only way to ensure that law enforcement upholds its end of the deal. The proposed deal to you is legal and happens quite frequently with law enforcement and people in your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption