If a person is arrested for theft of property in the 4th should they hire an attorney

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a person is arrested for theft of property in the 4th should they hire an attorney

This happen in alabama

Asked on September 10, 2016 under Criminal Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Any time criminal charges are involved, legal representation is best. If you are a first-time offender, you may be offered an alternative sentencing program known as "diversion". With such a program, you enter a guilty plea and the court will then put you on probation. If all of its terms are successfully met, your plea is then be withdrawn and the case dismissed. Additionally, you are left with a clean criminal record. However, an experienced criminal law attorney might be able to get the charge dismissed on a technicality or win an acquittal if the case goes to trial. Also, since diversion is only allowed for a first offense, this means that if you should ever find yourself in legal trouble again then it will not be available to you. Consequently, if you get a lawyer who is able to obtain a dismissal/acquittal, you will be eligible for diversion in the future should you ever need it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption