If a party breaches their side of a contract, does that make the whole contract null and void?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a party breaches their side of a contract, does that make the whole contract null and void?

I am an independent contractor who has a contract with my company. They are not paying me correctly according to our written contract so I want to know if I am legally bound to that contract?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A minor breach of a contract does not terminate it, but does give rise to a right to seek compensation or damages.  A material, or important breach--one going to the heart of the agreement--willl let the  other side terminate the contract and possibly also sue for damages (for the money owed). Typically, the payment terms of a contract are considered material, especially when its payment for services (such as by an independent contractor), and so a breach of the payment obligations would likely entitle the other party to terminate without penalty while also bringing a legal action for  the money due under the contract. That said, every situation is different, and you are advised to consult with an attorney about your specific circumstances and contract. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption