If a parent has full custody, can grandparent file to have her taken for summers and christmas out of state?

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a parent has full custody, can grandparent file to have her taken for summers and christmas out of state?

I am going through a divorce. The father has not had any contact with our child for just about 6 months. He moved out of state. The grandmother said that when she comes to court that if he isn’t granted custody that she will exercise her grandparents rights and try to have my daughter sent to her for the summers and Christmas. The father was abusive and I do not feel safe sending her there so far away. Can they do this?

Asked on August 3, 2012 under Family Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Many states in this country allow a grandparent of a minor child to file a petition to have some semblance of visitation or custody of the minor. However, the court's are loathe to override the wishes of a parent who is properly parenting in such a situation. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney about this matter for further assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption