If a parent has a suspended licenese and drives with their minor daughter in the car, is that a form of child abuse?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a parent has a suspended licenese and drives with their minor daughter in the car, is that a form of child abuse?

My ex-husband is driving on a suspended driver’s license and wants to utilize his custody time with our daughter and drive with her in a vehicle on a suspended license. Is that a form of child abuse? Am I okay to tell him no he cannot take her?

Asked on May 20, 2019 under Criminal Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, it's not child abuse because it may be illegal, but it is not risky or harmful to her. It's like buying her toys with money he embezzled or committed tax fraud on may be illegal, but it's not abuse. If he is a dangerous or unsafe driver, you would have grounds to go to the court and try to stop him from doing this, but a license suspension by itself is no kind of child safety, etc. violation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption