If a motion to quash/vacate is currently under review, should my employer postpone my wage garnishment?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a motion to quash/vacate is currently under review, should my employer postpone my wage garnishment?

A creditor from 13 years ago re-opened a case sending all paperwork to an old address. This prompted a wage garnishment. This creditor has not been on my credit report in over 8 years. I have asked my job to not withhold any pay until a decision has been made by the judge concerning my motion to quash/vacate. Is it legal for my job to postpone the garnishment until a decision has been made?

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, the job may not delay or withhold the garnishment unless and until you have obtained a court order which actually puts the garnishment on hold. Otherwise, if there is an order for garnishment but  not yet an order staying or delaying its implementation, the employer has to obey the in-force court order. It is not automatic that looking to vacate (or quash, or appeal, or etc.) an order or a prior judgment stays execution; rather, you should apply to the court for a stay of execution, which can be done by applying for injunctive relief through filing an order to show cause. A lawyer should be able to do this for you easily; if you do not have or don't want to have an attorney (which is not recommended, but it is your right), contact the court (the clerk and/or the judge's chamber) and ask for the preferred procedure or mechanism to do this. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption