If a methamphetamine dealer is arrested, will the police investigate the numbers/contacts recently in contact with him?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a methamphetamine dealer is arrested, will the police investigate the numbers/contacts recently in contact with him?

Would it only be those explicitly talking about drugs in the text messages or even those who just asked how his day was going? If so, how would they go about contacting someone of interest?

Asked on March 20, 2014 under Criminal Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Most likely, if there is *anything* that suggests that a contact may have been a customer, supplier, criminal associate--including the use of what seems to be code words in a message--the authorities will investigate that person. How they do so depends on what they think the relationship may be and what investigative mode they think will be best: they might, for example, simply call the person and to speak to him/her; or they may seek a warrant to wiretap, conduct surveillance, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption