If a landlord changes the rent before the end of the lease without a new contract, does that negate the signed lease?

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a landlord changes the rent before the end of the lease without a new contract, does that negate the signed lease?

Our landlord changed our rent before the end of our lease. We were told the rent would be evaluated in a few months to determine permanent rent. We were never given a new lease to sign indicating the new rent amount. We are now trying to move out after giving 30 days notice and are being told we are in violation of lease, even though we do not have a current lease.

Asked on November 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you signed a written lease agreement for a set term at so much per month and the term is not up, then the agreement that you signed (and presumably the landlord) controls the obligations you owe to the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

If the landlord changed the monthly amount of the lease that you are currently living under, you can consider his conduct a material breach of your written lease agreement warranting its termination. Before you actually move out, it might be prudent for you to consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption