If an employer has the employee to sign a contract but doesn’t pay the contract amount, is that legal?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an employer has the employee to sign a contract but doesn’t pay the contract amount, is that legal?

I work for a franchise company as a subcontractor and had to sign a contract for services provided. When I received my pay there were fees taken that I was not told about and my money was not the amount that was stated on the contract. Can the company be made to honor the contract and without retaliation?

Asked on April 8, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A contract is enforceable as poer its plain terms: they have to pay you what they agreed, and cannot take out any fees not in the contract. You could sue for breach of contract to enforce its terms (get the money owed you and a court order that they pay the correct amount going forward) and if they retaliated against you for enforcing your contractual rights, that itself would give rise to another lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption