If a employee asks management to investigate what the employee feels is harassment, do they have to?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a employee asks management to investigate what the employee feels is harassment, do they have to?

My wife felt like she was being harassed by her boss she told upper management. They fired her the next day that she work for reasons that were untrue that she can prove. She also recorded everything with her cell phone. Should we get a lawyer?

Asked on September 17, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In all states in this country, the employer is under an obligation to thoroughly investigate all claims of harassment by an employee with respect to office operations. Typically the investigation is initiated through the human resources department (assuming there is one) or the employee's immediate supervisor.

If your wife reported that she was being harassed by her boss and upper management was advised of this where your wife was terminated the following day, her termination seems as though it was retaliatory.

She needs to make a claim with the local labor department over what happened as well as to make a claim for unemployment benefits. She also needs to contact a labor attorney as well over her termination.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption