If a dog attacks me on their owner’s property, who is libel for my injuries?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a dog attacks me on their owner’s property, who is libel for my injuries?

I have to cross my neighbor’s property to get to my mailbox. Yesterday, I was

walking across to get my mail. I was charged by 2 dogs. One lunged at me, I was able to dodge the attack. I was yelling at the dogs to stop trying to get owners out to get their dogs. I told the owner that he tried to bite me. She flipped me off. I called the Sheriff to make a report and have them to talk to the owners. What else can I do?

Asked on May 20, 2018 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Because you have made your neighbors aware of the fact their dogs are aggressive, if you are injured by their dogs, they will be liable: that is because to not take steps to restrain known-to-be-aggressive dogs (keeping them chained or inside; training; muzzling; etc.) is negligent, or unreasonably careless, and negligence makes the negligent party liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption