If a contempt action is against me, would it benefit me to make some payment prior to my court date?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a contempt action is against me, would it benefit me to make some payment prior to my court date?

An order to pay spousal maintenance and child support was handed down last month and if funds aren’t given a contempt action will be placed on me. Being that I don’t have the means to get the funds to her at that time, would it benefit me to pay some of it when I will have some or wait until my court date?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When you say that you do not have the means at this time do you mean that something happened since the original order that computer the amount that would be considered a "significant change in circumstances?"  If that is the case then it may in fact be in your interest to look in to making a cross motion for a modification of the order that set the amount based upon your present financial circumstances.  Explain in your affidavit what happened with your employment and earning capacity and then ask for a reduction of the amount.  Let the court know that you are able to pay x amount.  Strategy is best discussed with an attorney that is familiar with the system in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption