If a company charges off a debt, can that same company garnish your wages?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a company charges off a debt, can that same company garnish your wages?

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not a debt has been written off or not by a creditor is irrelevant to if it can garnish the debtor's wages through a garnishment as part of the levy process. Many times a company holding a bad debt sues the debtor and obtains a judgment.

The company which is now a judgment creditor will typically assign or sell the judgment to a collection agency. At this time, the judgment creditor for accounting purposes will typically write off the debt itself on its books.

Meanwhile, the collection agency that has been assigned this judgment then tries to levy and execute upon it, sometimes through a wage garnishment.

If your wages have been garnished, most likely there is a judgment as the basis for the garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption