If a business partner opened a bank account on our business and is hiding it, can they be sued?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a business partner opened a bank account on our business and is hiding it, can they be sued?

My business partners opened a different bank account and were depositing checks in that bank. When I found out some checks were missing they said it was an accident and deposited cash back but did not tell me about the new bank account. Can I sue them on that basis?

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Business Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if your business partner has opened a bank account with respect to your and his/her business and is depositing business assets within it, there seems to be the possibility that improprieties are being done. If so, then a lawsuit can be filed if factually and legally warranted.

I suggest that you consult with a business attorney to discuss the suspicions that you have with respect to the question that you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption