What is the statue of limitations with regards to identity theft?

UPDATED: May 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the statue of limitations with regards to identity theft?

I just found out I was a victim over 4 years ago.

Asked on May 3, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have found out you were a victim over four years ago, did you find out by pulling your credit report or through notification by an entity. Either way, the statute of limitations civilly may not have even begun since you just discovered it. If you just discovered it and it was through no negligence of yours, and you know who did it, you may have time to sue for reimbursement and of course, for any statutory damages that are allowed by California and perhaps even federal law. As to criminal violations, there may even be a way to file criminal charges and depending on the extent of the theft, different law enforcement authorities may be involved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption