Idaho Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Handling your own name change in Idaho is not as complicated as you might think. The procedure mostly consists of filling out the proper forms and filing them with your local district court. Let us help you get started with the following information:

What forms are required for a name change in Idaho?

The following forms are required to change your name in Idaho:

  • Petition to Change Name(CAO 12-1)
  • Name Change Hearing(CAO 12-2)
  • Order for Change of Name(CAO 12-3)
  • Name Change Letter for Publication(CAO 12-4)

These forms can be found on the Idaho State Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for an Idaho name change?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. However, the clerk of the court will notarize the Petition to Change Namefor free when you bring it to court.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Idaho?

Yes. The fee is $77. A fee waiver may be obtained using the Fee Waiver forms with a showing of sufficient hardship. There is a second fee waiver form as well.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will give you a date for your court hearing that is at least six weeks from the date you file your Petition.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. The Name Change Letter for Publication must be posted once a week for four successive weeks after your Petition has been filed.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption