What to do about police brutality?

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about police brutality?

I was pulled over for DUI. I was punched in the face and head several times before I had a chance to speak or even exit my vehicle. I was kicked and punched in the face when I was on the ground being handcuffed by 2 police officers. They said I was resisting arrest. I was at no time resisting. I have several witnesses that saw everything happen. Most of my face is swollen, with bruises on my back from being kicked. They also managed to break my molar.

Asked on September 11, 2011 under Criminal Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that excessive force was used against you when you were pulled over for driving under the influence of alcohol and/or a controlled substance, you should immediately contact a personal injury attoreny to consult with concerning the injuries you sustained in that from your description of them they sound significant.

Before you meet with the attorney for the suggested consultation, you need to get copies of all of your medical records, the police report and photographs of you to take for the meeting with the personal injury attorney. Be prepared to provide the names and addresses of the witnesses to the incident.

These documents will assist in the initial evaluation of your claim against the arresting officers.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption