Can my wages still be garnished 11 years after a judgment for a debt collection?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my wages still be garnished 11 years after a judgment for a debt collection?

After garnishment judgment there was no contact at all from collector until a few weeks ago requesting garnishment from my employer.

Asked on August 23, 2011 Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In most states in this country the laws of each state will set forth how long a judgment is good for whether it can be renewed, and the number of times it can be renewed. In California, a judgment is good for ten years, but before the expiration of ten (10) years, the judgment creditor can make an application to have it renewed with the superior court where the judgment was issued. The superior court typically grants the request.

In your situation, if the judgment against you is more than ten (10) years old, the judgment against you may have expired and might never have been renewed. If the judgment has expired or was never renewed (and is required to be renewed to be valid), there is a chance that the wage garnishment against you might not be valid.

You need to go down to the court house, pull the court file, see when the judgment was entered against you, see if there was any renewal of it (you would have had to receive written notice) and then confirm under the laws of your state how long a judgment is good for.

If the judgment has expired, you need to file a claim of exemption regarding the wage garnishment concerning this judgment.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption