What are my rights if a township vehicle hit my car but the township is taking no responsibility except reimbursement of our deductible?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if a township vehicle hit my car but the township is taking no responsibility except reimbursement of our deductible?

I had a township snow plow hit my parked car while no one was in it. I was told that the claim had to go through my insurance company and all the township would pay is my deductible and my insurance company would have to pay the rest. My insurance company showed we were not at fault but our insurance premiums have gone up for the next 5 years. The insurance company says this is because they are not being reimbursed. This doesn’t sound right since the township is not held accountable for their actions. Is there anything we can do?

Asked on January 9, 2012 under Accident Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you honestly believe that the township was at fault for the damage to your vehicle that your insurance carrier ended up paying for resulting in you having higher premiums, I would first make a proof of claim under your state's government code for the damages to your car as a prerequisite for you to file to suit.

Assuming the claim is rejected, you have so long to file suit against the township for your damages. Given the complicated nature of suing governmental entities, I suggest that you consult with an attorney who practices law in the area of representing plaintiffs against governmental entities.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption