I485 EAD/AP card replacement receipt notice allow us to work?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I485 EAD/AP card replacement receipt notice allow us to work?

I have filed for I485, and EAD/AP card. I receive the I797 saying that my EAD/AP
card is approved and will be sent to me. 2 months later, now, I realized I could
check the status online and realized that EAD/AP is ‘delivered’ to some
unknown places. I think the possibility of letting USCIS and USPS to find the
card is very small. I am considering applying for the EAD/AP card replacement
after our e-request online. Does this EAD/AP card replacement receipt notice
allow us to work for 90 days? Thanks.

Asked on July 5, 2018 under Immigration Law, Massachusetts


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can work based on the fact that the online status indicates approved even if you do not have an actual document to present to the employer.  However, if you need to provide it (if the employer requires) you will need to contact USCIS and explain the situation and see what they will recommend in terms of whether they can resend a new one.  Typically they will not do this unless the first document is returned to them as undelivered but you can certainly try and as long as the address they have on file is your current and correct address, they may.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption