What is the best way to give my daughter the deed to my house and property?

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the best way to give my daughter the deed to my house and property?

I live with her and her family, I only have a will made with one of those diy software packages and I cannot afford to consult anyone locally. My daughter and her family take care of me. I can no longer drive and have difficulty getting around. I would like to give my house that we all live in to her now so that she may acquire a loan against it to do necessary repairs and make my bathroom handicapped accessible. I am confused by a quit claim deed, a gift deed and a warranty deed. I do not want her to incur alot of expenses because of this. My house is totally paid off and my personal property taxes are up to date. Could you please direct us?

Asked on July 10, 2013 under Estate Planning, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult an estate planning attorney about what you wish to do. If you cannot afford one, go down to your local legal aid clinic or council on aging and see what assistance can be given. Giving away your entire home to your daughter all at once could create gift tax ramifications for your that you do not intend to have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption