I would like to know the route I should take in receiving my security deposit back from my landlord after she has expressed her wish to end our lease?

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I would like to know the route I should take in receiving my security deposit back from my landlord after she has expressed her wish to end our lease?

I am currently renting a basement and have been now for almost 2 months. My lease was to end in about 4 months, unfortunetly my landlord has expressed verbally to me that she wishes to end our agreement sooner. She has not yet given me a written notice as required by our lease. She has accused me of having a pipe that seemed to contain illegal substances that she found during an inspection. I have not seen any evidence for this claim and strongly maintain my innocence on those charges. I was receiving government help for my rent $770 through a shelter organization which they have discontinued due to my landlord’s unfounded accusations. My landlord has expressed her plan to withold my security deposit $770 because of her accusation. I want to know if I should take her to court and, if so, what path should I take?

Asked on June 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The problem for you is that the landlord is entitled to all her rent: if the rent had been being paid by a shelter organization but is no longer being paid, you become responsible for the entire amount. If you do not or cannot pay the rent, the landlord may evict you and also she will be entitled to retain your security deposit and apply it against your unpaid rent.

To try to fight this situation, you should go to court and seek a preliminary injunction barring the landlord from evicting you pending determination of whether 1) the landlord wrongfully caused your subsidy to be discontinued and/or 2) you are still entitled to the subsidy. You may have to name the shelter organization in the lawsuit, too, and you will basically be asking the judge to make a determination that the landlord acted wrongfully in reporting this false accusation (and so should not be allowed to take advantage of her own wrongful act) and/or that in the absence of evidence of your wrongdoing,  your subsidy should not have been discontinued.

This is not an easy or simple case to bring--it is a much more procedurally complicted matter than, say, simply suing someone in small claims court because they owe you money. If at all possible, get a lawyer to help you; if you cannnot afford one, try Legal Services--they often provide free legal assistance to tenants in your situation. If they cannot or will not help you, contract your state or county bar associations and inquire into whether they can put you in contact with an attorney who will help you on a pro bono (free or public service) basis.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption