I would like to know more about bath faith

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I would like to know more about bath faith

I lost my house in a fire last year, the insurance took a long time to work with my contractor and now I am still waiting for them to work in my receipts submitted to them 4 month ago

Asked on September 23, 2019 under Insurance Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If and when you believe they are not honoring their policy (which is a contract) obligations in good faith, you can sue them for breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing: the obligation, imposed by the law, that the parties to a contract not take unjustified steps to deny the other side the benefit of the contract. But the key is, any delays must be unjustified: a certain amount of time to review any claims and documentation is a given, and if the documentation is incomplete, difficult to read or interpret, etc. a longer time is also reasonably allowable. In my experience, if they are working on and honoring the  claims and paying what they should, even if more slowly than they really should, it would be very difficult to sustain a bad faith claim by proving that any delays were truly unreasonable & in bad faith.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption