I would like to know if it’s possible to leave my house to my fiance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I would like to know if it’s possible to leave my house to my fiance?

I got this house from my landlord. I put $10,000 down on it and he said he would finance the rest. I would like to know if I draw up a Will, can I leave the house to my fiance without worry if I pass away my landlord/banker can come and take the house regardless? If so, what are my options?

Asked on July 22, 2019 under Estate Planning, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If there was no mortgage, you could easily do this. With a mortgage though, including owner/landlord financing, ther is a significant issue: when you die, the loan comes due in full and if your fiance cannot pay it in full, the lender (whoever that is; e.g. the landlord, if he is financing you) may forecllose on the house. To make sure she gets it, don't just will it to her; take out enough life insurance on yourself that she can use the proceeds to pay the loan off.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption