If I would like to know if I leave my place of employment, can I collect unemployment if I am being bullied and harrasssed?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I would like to know if I leave my place of employment, can I collect unemployment if I am being bullied and harrasssed?

I have continuously complained as well as other employees about the treatment received by the HR dept employee. She is nasty and bullies people all the time and it has been on going with complaint yet the company has done nothing. She has been brought in to the president’s office multiple times for warnings on her behavior yet it still persists. I am having mental health issues because of the constant harrassment and bullying and feel I shouldnt be forced to work under these circumstances. It seems to have escalated quite a bit recently rather than get any better. If I go in with another complaint and they still do nothing and I stop coming to work due to this can I collect unemployment?

Asked on August 30, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, rude or boorish behavior does not give rise to a legal claim. Workplace harrassment or "hostility", is only actionable if it prevents an employee from reasonably performing their job duties and is due to some type of actionable discrimination (i.e. is based on race, religion, age (over 40), disability, gender, national origin, etc.). Absent that, you have no valid claim for voluntarily leaving your job. And without "cause", you would be ineligible to collect unemployment benefits. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption