i would like to know how to go about changing the stipulations of my probation. Is there a form to be submitted to the courts.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

i would like to know how to go about changing the stipulations of my probation. Is there a form to be submitted to the courts.

i have indefinite probation through powhatan, va, i would like to take a general restriction off of my probation. My probation officer said that there is a form that has to be filed with the courts but i can not find it.

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If your PO says that there is a form then there probably is.  They would know; possibly they can help you obtain it.  If not, you should contact the public defenders's office.  Chances are they either have this form or can at least tell you where to go to get it.  Let them know that they don't have to take your case, just that you need help in getting the form (of course if you financially qualify you could ask for their help).  Additionally, you could try legal aid as well, or see if there is a law school nearby to you.  Many times they have free/low cost clinics that can help with this sort of thing. 

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption